you're one week old, wattsie!

Happy One Week Birthday, Ama-Watts! Here's a recap of your first week of life.

You were born on Thursday, December 1, 2011. You spent the night in our room most of the night except for a short one-hour stay in the nursery. The nurse brought you back so that I could feed you around 4 a.m., and you stayed the rest of the time on my chest. When you woke up on Friday, you were in such a sweet mood. You spent some time with your daddy lying on his chest. It warmed my heart to see you both together.








Your Mumsy had spent the night at our house on Thursday night, and she overslept Friday, so she came up to the hospital around 11:00. Pop came by and hung out with us that morning, too. He brought your momma a sausage biscuit from McDonald's-- my first meal since you were born.


I got up and got dressed, and then I got to spend some more time with my girl. Precious, precious time.


Later in the day, Auntie D (Diana Foster) came by for a visit around lunch. Your daddy was especially happy to see D because she brought him coffee!


Aunt Lindsey Poenie, Alli Hill, Christy Tarver, and your future in-laws (haha), Adam and Sarah Rice also came by to visit, but you were getting hungry so I didn't get to make photos of them. :(



We got to put Ama in another outfit besides the plain white t-shirt they had put on her the night she was born. It was so good to see her in something we had bought just for her.






Your Gran V and Lenze came by early that afternoon, too.



Later, one of our sweet church members, Bobby Hedges, came by and brought you a little stuffed moose.

We had a good, relaxing day in the hospital. I kissed you all over, and we shared some really sweet memories together with our family.

On Saturday, the hospital let us know we could go home that day shortly after lunch. Early that morning, one of your pediatricians, Dr. Jones, came by to check on you. He said you were just perfect. Aunt Tammy, Uncle Jim, Meg, Morgan and Ellie Parker sent us a beautiful flower arrangement and a snack basket to the hospital. We are so blessed with such great family, Ama!


I got up and got ready, and then it was time for us to get you ready to go home! You hated having your clothes changed, but you wore a beautiful dress that your Aunt Becky hand smocked-- it was the same exact dress that your momma wore home from the hospital when she was born.




It was just after we had put your dress on that I realized that we were taking you home with us. I realized that you were ours. I, of course, started crying, and the biggest feeling of thankfulness filled my heart.




And then, before I knew it, we were in the car and headed home.


You slept the whole way home, and your daddy got you out of the car and took you inside. It was good to have just a few moments in the house alone-- just the three of us.


As soon as we got in the house, I took you out of the car seat, and you and I went into your nursery. I sat and rocked you in your chair and savored the first sweet moments you and I had alone in our house.

That night, Mumsy, Pop, Gran V and Aunt Lenze all spent the night with us. I was exhausted, but it was comforting to have our family with us. You slept a ton and woke up just a few times to eat. You had not been eating very well since we got home from the hospital, but I thought it was just the adjustment time for you. I got frustrated (not with you, but with not knowing if you were hungry and just not eating or what), and I cried a couple times those first few hours. Your daddy and Mumsy were so good to always calm me down. And looking at you always calmed me down, too. You slept like a champion your first night home...when we finally got you asleep. Your daddy was on the first watch, and your mumsy slept in your nursery floor beside you while you slept in your Nap Nanny. I got up only a few times for a few short feeding sessions.

On Sunday morning, your daddy went to church and Gran V, Pop and Aunt Lenze left to go home around noon. You still were not eating well at all, and I started to get really worried. I called the lactation consultant at the hospital, and we went to see her around 3:00. She helped us out a ton, and since then, we've not had any problems at all! We just needed a little help. Cindy was a lifesaver!!



We came back home and enjoyed a nice, relaxing evening at home...and you ate, and my heart was warmed.


On Monday morning, we all got up early to get ready to take you to your first appointment with the pediatrician. Your appointment was at 10:30 a.m. Mumsy, Daddy and I took you. You were really good except for when we undressed you, and even then, you just cried a little. The nurse weighed you and you weighed 8 lbs., 5 oz., which Dr. Lynch was slightly worried about. We had to schedule a weight check for 48 hours later, and Dr. Lynch encouraged me to feed you every 2 hours.


We got home on Monday and just relaxed around the house. 


On Monday afternoon, the doorbell rang, and a florist delivered a bouquet of flowers and a picture frame from our church. We are so blessed with such a sweet congregation at Sunnyside.


On Tuesday, Mumsy and I decided to put up Christmas decorations. She bought you the cutest little ornament for the tree for your first Christmas.


On Tuesday, you were still eating really well, so I was really happy. You were eating about every 2 1/2-3 hours, which I thought was pretty good. I prayed the whole day that you would gain weight.

Tuesday night, you slept really well. Dad slept in our spare bedroom while Mumsy slept on the couch. Daddy hadn't been feeling well, so he slept in another room so he wouldn't get you sick. You and I braved the night alone, and we did just great. You are such a wonderful baby-- even at night!

On Wednesday, you had another appointment at the pediatrician's office, so your Mumsy and I woke up early so I could start your schedule off right. Your appointment was at 11:00. While I was getting you ready to go, I opened the blinds to make your picture and saw that it was snowing! I was so glad that you were only six days old when you saw your very first snow.


Daddy had to get a haircut and he had plans to eat with a friend so he didn't go with us to the doctor's office. I undressed you at the doctor's office, and put you on the scale for the nurse, and you weighed 8 lbs., 11 oz. Dr. Lynch said she expected about a half of an ounce of weight gain per day, and since you had gained 6 ounces in 48 hours, she was very, very pleased. I felt such relief. You did good, girl. You did so good. :)

We had a photographer scheduled to come and make your newborn photos at the house at 2 p.m. I was worried to death that you might be a little fussy, but you were absolutely perfect during the entire one hour session. I was so proud of you. I cannot wait to see the pictures. I know you will look absolutely beautiful in them!

One of the dresses you wore in the photos was a Christmas dress I wore in my family's first Christmas card. It's another hand-smocked dress made by your Aunt Becky, and I just love it. You look so adorable in it, pretty girl. You are the apple of my eye.



I have so loved spending this week with you. I am already seeing how you are growing and changing. You are an absolute joy to your daddy and I. We love you more than you'll ever know.

Happy One Week Birthday, little girl. You are my heart.


  1. Whit, this just brought tears to my eyes! Your Amalou is beautiful and perfect. Love all the pictures!

  2. Whitney!! She is just beautiful. I love that Becky made her dresses. Becky is one of my mom's dear friends and she made all my dresses when I was a little girl! Small world. Happy one week birthday, Ama-Watts!

  3. Love all of these pictures so much! I'm with Martha....we have those same "Becky" dresses at the Smith house. Praying for y'all as you continue to make the transition from family of 2 to family of 3.